A TIMELESS ENCLAVE ON THE CITY'S DOORSTEP
OLD LONDON AT ITS BEST AND WORST
Imagine a Victorian market surrounded by quaint old shops that date back to the 18th century. Picture a gleaming white church the soaring walls of which have dominated their surroundings for over 200 years.
Think of yourself wandering along cobblestone streets lined by sturdy old houses that have changed little since the days when Jack the Ripper walked this way, leaving a trail of bloodshed and panic in his menacing wake. Imagine traditional old East End Pubs that still possess the true ambience of "locals."
It's time to stop imagining for all these and more help make our Spitalfields Treasure Hunt a memorable and special event.
LOVELY OLD ALLEYWAYS AND HIDDEN PASSAGEWAYS
From the moment you set off you are pitched into a charming sequence of narrow alleyways in which you must seek out all manner of strange and cryptic clues.
Throughout the entire Spitalfields Treasure Hunt each corner turned will open up new vistas that present you with surprise after surprise. The private residential back roads, for example, that are trapped in a bygone age and where you wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Jack the Ripper were to round the corner and (hopefully!) hurry past you.
SPITALFIELDS MARKET - A GEM OF A PLACE
Then there's the wonderful Spitalfields Market itself where an eclectic mix of craft stalls and bric-a-brac stalls nestle cheek by jowl alongside stalls that serve up a rich array of ethnic foods and delicacies.
And we've not even begun to tell you about the old brewery, older church and even older alleyways all of which are included in one way or another on your quest and all of which will help make your Spitalfields Treasure Hunt such a fascinating, enjoyable and memorable occasion.
WITHIN MOMENTS YOU'VE BEEN PITCHED BACK IN TIME
No sooner have you set out on your treasure hunt quest than you find yourself turning into a gloomy and sinister little alleyway that is genuinely creepy. Luckily it doesn't have a great deal going for it information wise so you won't have to dally in this alley for too long - if you get the gist.
From here the Spitalfields Treasure Hunt takes you further into the area and introduces you to some magnificent old buildings that are both historic and fascinating.
Dotted around the walls, hidden behind rusty railings, or perched high on the ancient rooftops are plaques, information boards, statues and memorials that have been utilised to provide you with a sequence of cryptic clues, observation questions and photo challenges.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SPITALFIELDS TREASURE HUNT INCLUDE
- A cobblestoned hill along which people have been making their way into the City of London for nigh on six hundred years.
- A little changed 18th century passage that has been used as a location for numerous television dramatic reconstructions of the Jack the Ripper story.
- An 18th century sun dial high up on the wall of a building that has seen time as a Methodist chapel, a Synagogue and a Mosque.
- The old pub where several of Jack the Ripper's victims had been drinking on the nights they were murdered.
- A buried medieval chapel that only came to light during recent building work in the area.
- The old Huguenot houses that will transport you back to the long ago days when this area was a major producer of silks.
- The old brewery building that was once the major employer in the area and which now houses an eclectic mix of restaurants, trendy bars and craft shops.
SO DISCOVER ANOTHER SIDE TO LONDON
Whether you are looking for a team building activity for staff who work in the area, or seeking something "different" to do in London for a group of friends or relatives, the Spitalfields Treasure Hunt will most certainly show you another side of London.
Indeed, no matter what your reason for wishing to get out and about on the streets of London, this delightfully unchanged and often overlooked neighbourhood will most certainly fuel your imagination and you will want to return time and again to re-discover the places that our Spitalfields Treasure Hunt will introduce you to.